At 16:14 30/03/2006, you wrote:
Lovely costumes, Suzi!
I'm curious about the very shiny fabric of the lilac gown. It looks much glossier than the satin ones. Is it a period fabric?

No it is not. Bought by the lady herself, it is a polyester taffeta, which does not photograph well, although in daylight, and ordinary electric light it looks fine. You do what you can with what you are brought. (Or you bully them into wearing "real" fabrics, which I prefer to do!)

The others are either real silk taffeta, or yarn dyed acetate taffeta, which wears remarkably well, and looks almost (well to a non-historian's eyes) like the real thing, while being a hell of a lot cheaper.

Suzi

Kate Bunting
Librarian and 17th century reenactor

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 30/03/2006 14:37 >>>

If anyone is interested, this website, a newly revised one, has a
large number of my 18th century costumes in its gallery. www.minuetcompany.org

   I did not make clothes for the two portly gentlemen, nor the lady
top right picture, and bottom left figure, but did make virtually all
the rest, from the skin out. (Except for any garments worn on the
lower part of the body and otherwise known  as knickers, briefs,
panties stockings, hose or shoes etc!)

Suzi