On Sunday 09 April 2006 11:03 pm, Beth and Bob Matney wrote:
> If memory serves, I believe that houndstooth twill is in:
> North European Textiles Until AD 1000 by Lise Bender Jorgensen. Aarhus Univ
> Pr (1992), Hardcover ISBN 8772884169
>
> I can check for you tomorrow if needed.

There's a nice picture of houndstooth in Margrethe Hald's "Ancient Danish
Textiles" also.  The picture looks as though the check is in a contrasting
color (it's a black and white photo), but the text claims that the effect
comes from using threads of different spin directions instead (a kind of
shadow check effect, I suppose).

--
Cathy Raymond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

"I'm starting to like the cut of this man's gibberish."
--General Fillmore (from "The Tick," episode 2)