Hi Bjarne,

     I'm trying to remember if I've seen any extant 18thC stays, with
straps, that were not tied.  Tying them seems to be the normal thing
to do.  Has anyone seen originals with solid straps?

     The pattern looks to me like it's two different pieces where the
strap meets the front, not sewn together.  I think they just did not
bother to draw in the eyelets for the lacing.

     Also it seems that when stays have lacing in the front and back,
women in the 18thC would lace the back when putting them on, and the
front would stay as is.  But that's not the way we do it today,
because if we have the convenience of the front lacing we want to use
it!

     Here is why the straps work better when laced: Generally we put the
stays on and they hang from the shoulders as we lace them up.  But
then I discover the shoulder straps are loose.  So I think the
purpose of the lacing on the straps was to snug them to a better fit
once the stays are laced.  The best way to wear them is to loosen the
straps a bit, lace the stays, and then tighten the straps.  And be
sure the lady puts on shoes and does her hair before putting on
stays!

     So definitely make the straps with a lacing, and a length that does
allows for some adjustment as Suzi did them.

     -Carol