Whether in the classroom, symposium, or casual conversation, the key
is documentation.

Not for the last--at least, it tends to become a focus for tiresome "prove yourself to me" games. There is a difference between a doctoral dissertation and a conversation.

     If I can't cite the source at the time, and I can't find it, then I
have to accept that the information will not back up my opinion.  It
doesn't matter if my memory is seeing the item in a museum, with
accurate provenance, or if it's a movie that's 95% fantasy.

OK, but there is a difference between research (finding data) and intepretation (of the data). One of the first things I learned in upper-division history seminars is there are often serveral, equally believable ways of interpreting the same data. After a certain point, all you can give there is your logical argument.

In other words, you're not always following someone else's ideas.

Fran
Lavolta Press
http://www.lavoltapress.com