At 13:38 27/04/2006, you wrote:
While I agree about the clashing metals - I do not about "just because those who could afford portraits wore it so it could not possibly be the other" theory...this is the time that lays the foundation for the middleclasses of the 17th & 18th century - I just wish Elizabethans had cameras....But if you are dressing your husband in the clothing of the portrait class - never mind. Have fun at the event - we are not all stuck-up-boobs as this rule about the chain implies.

To anyone still interested.

With all your help and advice, I had a rummage through my jewellery box to see what I could find - it's amazing what one keeps - I know about the fabric stash - but jewellery? When I have worn only earrings as jewellery for 20 years - help!!

Anyway, I found a single "gold" chain, which looks reasonable, and a pendant thing I could attach to it for the SCA event, on a temporary basis. (If you look very carefully at the back it says "Tie Rack" but it has a good weight, has an oval pearl and a ring of "gold" around it, and looks quite impressive.) I have one or two other medallion/pendant type things I will take just in case, but the best bit? Thanks to the jewel box, I don't have to spend any money!!

Thanks to all for your help and advice.

Suzi