>   I'm back with more questions!  I was planning to make my daughters 1569
gown in black velvet, only to have a concern with the weight of the skirt
(I'm putting in a forepart, rather than have a full petticoat) when I got
home from purchasing the velvet.
>   Would it be alright to do the bodice in the velvet, and the skirt in a
black wool blend?  Also, how much ease do I put into the waistband - her
waist size is 20 and a half inches?  I'm doing separate pieces to maximise
the wear she will get out of it.

It would look better made from the same fabric. If you are worried about the
weight, do not use a cartridge pleated skirt. ou are going to wind up with a
lot of fabric. Why not cut the skirt from gored panels? It was the way every
pattern and every extant item before 1600 we have was done. Piecing of gores
and wide varied though.
It's not too hard to do, and is rather more graceful, and reduces bulk but
still gives you a good flare at the hem.
http://www.vertetsable.com/research_b181.htm
http://www.vertetsable.com/research_f47.htm#pattern
http://www.vertetsable.com/research_f41.htm
http://www.elizabethancostume.net/Tailors/womens.html

There are images which show what could be straight cut skirt panels, but
they tend to be Venetian or a particularly finely pleated German style.

Michaela de Bruce
http://glittersweet.com