Beautiful !  Thanks for sharing.

Susan

"Slow down. The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel
too fast and you miss all you are traveling for".  - "Ride the Dark
Trail" by Louis L'Amour

On May 22, 2006, at 9:21 PM, Kristin wrote:

Well, I haven't had a chance to upload recent pictures until this evening, but here's a link to the late 1700's outfit I've been working on since the
fall:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=jq8t100.nqqmx58&x=0&y=-tik0q<http: //www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=jq8t100.nqqmx58&x=0&y=-tik0q>

I'm procrastinating on the quilted petticoat again, by making a pair of
stays. I guess I'll be finished with the binding within the next week and
will have to go back to quilting for a while.  My next procrastination
project is to make pockets... and then maybe start making another shift, but
of linen this time around... and then...

I'm so very happy to see that I'm not the only one who works on multiple projects simultaneously. It used to drive my ex nuts... but I guess he was
never around anyone else who had a creative streak in them!

Kristin

On 5/22/06, Catherine Olanich Raymond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Sunday 21 May 2006 11:48 pm, Sue Clemenger wrote:
> I think I'm right about where you are, garb-wise, Cathy. My "laundry
list"
> wasn't really an indication of my Extreme Expertise and Skills, but more > like the results of being consitutionally incapable of project monogamy.

Same here, which was part of my point.  However, you have attempted a
wider
variety of projects than I have (see below).

> Deity help me, a couple of weeks ago, I was encountering my first power
> tool (a drill press) in a friend's garage, learning to register
soapstone
> molds so I can carve the molds and make my own pewter buttons for fitted
> gowns.

Now anything that requires power tools is a bit farther than I've cared to
go!
I'm still waffling about using that sheet copper I bought to try to make a Viking style needlecase-and I can do that with only a dowel and a pair of
pliers (and maybe crazy glue).

> I'd love to hear more about you Lithuanian shawl!

One of the things the lands along the Baltic seem to have in common
(Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, parts of Finland, even Novogorod) is that the rich tended to ornament their clothes by working bronze coils and rings
into
them. (Most of the 1st-10th c textile finds in those areas have survived because the bronze ornaments preserve a fair amount of the cloth. Since
most
of the ornamentation was at the edges, you get a good idea of the size of
the
ornamented items.)

Based on where the metal ornaments were found, it appears that there was a standard shawl size (roughly 30 inches by 40 inches). The proper way to
do
the ornamentation would be to weave the shawl to order, and wrap strips of
sheet bronze or bits of bronze wire around certain warp threads as I
worked,
but I'm not likely to learn how to weave  anything bigger than a
tablet-woven
belt anytime soon. So what I'll probably do is kind of corkscrew pieces
of
copper wire into already woven wool (I have some nice wool melton cut and fringed for the purpose). Then, I will make smaller coils of copper wire,
string them onto a cord, and couch them onto each short end.

Raymond's Quiet Press started making the kind of stick pins that (it has
been
theorized) were used to fasten these shawls.  There's a picture of the
design
here:

http://www.quietpress.com/New2004.html

(look under "new in October 2004"; it's the left-hand picture, the item on
the
far right).

They were used in pairs, fastened together with bronze chains. The pins attached to them are huge--as big as knitting needles (the same is true of
the actual survivals Raymond's model is based upon).

Having finally bought myself a pair from Raymond as a birthday present, my theory is that the pins were never meant to go through anything other than the shawl. Once you fasten them to the shawl (I've already tried this)
you
can take the shawl off and on over your head (really, really carefully,
make sure you don't gouge out your eyes) as a unit, without risking damage
the rest of your body or clothes.

I have already finished most of the rest of the costume the shawl is to be
worn with.  When I finally finish the shawl, I'll put a picture in the
MedCos
gallery and post the URL to it here.

--
Cathy Raymond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

"I'm starting to like the cut of this man's gibberish."
--General Fillmore (from "The Tick," episode 2)