Oh yes. There's a modern revival. I've owned socks made of it. Here is a web page on the history of colored cotton:

http://www.perunaturtex.com/scientif.htm

Fran
Lavolta Press
http://www.lavoltapress.com

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Forwarded from a friend:

"Dating back to ancient Egypt, India and Peru, short-fiber cotton was grown in a variety of
natural colors (tan, red, green, gray, and brown). Around 300 B.C.,, Alexander the Great brought
the "vegetable wool" to Europe, and the natural varieties flourished there for
centuries."
This is a direct quote from the back page of Threads magazine (July 2006 number
125), which shows a picture of colored cotton.
I wasn't aware that you could grow colored cotton and thought I would share this.