In a message dated 6/23/2006 9:12:04 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

You can  do what I did for my doublet gown, use buttons as decoration
and use hooks  and eyes to close it.

*********************

That was my idea too. I'm sure they did this in the period as well. A lot  of
buttons close together looks good but can start to get expensive. I have a
doublet with plastic buttons [that really button] that look like fancy 3-D
carved bone but cost very little so the 17 down the front wasn't that
expensive.
I also made a doublet with a gazillion buttons down the front, so close they
were touching, but the real closure was hooks and eyes. And they were large
round beads not "real" buttons. You might see what's in the beading section of
 your local craft shop. I also saw a designer when I was in collage unstring
and  use some fancy beads from some costume jewelry she got at a department
store.  Looked great!