Quoting Kim Baird <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Taffeta is a ribbed fabric. That is, there are many more threads in one
direction than in the other. If you have twice as many filling threads as
you have warp threads, the filling threads pretty much cover the warp, and
make little ridges called ribs.

Thanks!  I'll have to check.

Crepe de Chine, shantung, poplin and faille are some other ribbed fabrics.

Taffeta is also made from filament yarn. This can be silk or nylon or
polyester or even rayon--anything that is extruded as one long filament. It
can't be wool or cotton or linen, since those are not long filaments.

Iridescent taffeta has warp and filling yarns of different colors.

The warp is white, the weft is pink and purple.  I think I got that
right .....

A good magnifying glass cvan help you see the weave better, to identify a
taffeta from a broadcloth or a satin weave.

It's not a satin weave, I know that.

Thanks!  Maybe I'll take a photo and post it somewhere tonight.

Susan
-----
Susan Farmer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]