YIKES!! Discount Fabrics is one place I consider necessary any time I
need to sew anything - and I mean anything. I haven't been for a while
(been a good girl and used stuff from my stash), and I guess I'd
better find time soon!

On dyeing with coffee/tea: I've never liked that pink tinge that tea
gives, as Fran says. However, I'm very happy with my experience (only
one) with using coffee to distress a costume -- and I know that's not
what Fran is doing with her shirts. I just wanted to give you my
experiences with dyeing with coffee.

I made a costume skirt for a low-life character (my daughter) in
October for our San Francisco Dickens Christmas Fair. Please note I'm
not a professional; I just knew it looked too nice and tried to figure
out a way to make it older. The fabric looked too nice for the
character so once completed, I went over to my neighborhood Peet's
coffee shop and begged a gallon-sized bag of their used grounds. I
boiled it up at home in a huge pot and skimmed off the water over the
better part of an hour, adding more water and grounds as needed. I
finally ended up with lots of very dark colored liquid, not good
enough for coffee but quite dark, and soaked the whole skirt in this
distillation - on the back porch. After about 1/2 hour I lifted it out
and hung it so only the hem of the skirt from the knee down was still
in it. Half hour later I pulled it so only the very end of the hem was
in the water, then an hour later I pulled it out completely and hung
it to dry. Once dry, I splashed the rest of the liquid on the front
and back from the knees down to add a bit more color, rubbed some
potting soil into it, and let it dry once more. It looks stained and
old. After that we distressed it with sandpaper and other things. I
washed it after the run and, once dry, threw it on the bottom of the
closet, where the shoes now live on top of it. I didn't notice any
fading of the coffee stains we put into it after it was washed. I'll
have to check again when we pull it out in October. At that point I'm
going to use more sandpaper and bleach a couple of spots and use some
shoe polish on other parts.

My experience is not to say that the coffee won't wash out eventually.
I only washed the skirt once, right before it went into storage. I
wasn't brave enough to wash it with other things; it went into the
machine alone. The stains will last two seasons at least; by that time
she'll need a new skirt anyway.

LynnD