Quoting [EMAIL PROTECTED]:

In a message dated 7/12/2006 1:13:23 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

I've got  a copy of Blanch Payne.  What's the best and/or the most
commonly used  text on historic costume?

Do you have the revised edition?

Probably not, it's the 1965 edition -- and there's no mention of
"revided" anywhere in that front matter.  (I know that there's a term
for it, I just don't know what it is!)  I had no idea it was still in
print!

It is probably as good as any of the
general texts--they all have their strengths and weaknesses. The other standard
text is Phyllis Tortora and Keith Eubanks, "Survey of Historic Costume"  2nd
ed. from Fairchild Publications. Others might have different opinions but, of
the readily available general survey texts, I think it is a toss up  between
these two.  Another pretty good book, but unfortunately out of  print, is
Douglas Russell's "Costume History and Style" (Prentice-Hall,  1983). When I
co-taught a class on period styles in the theatre dept., my fellow teacher (a set
designer) really liked Russell because of his approach  with decorative arts
and also the way he chose to divide his material into  periods.

I've seen Russell -- and I do like his approach.  I"ll have to take a
gander at Tortora & Eubanks.

Thanks!

susan
-----