>Fran wrote:
>  Not everyone has a strong need for
>> social support/approval.  I agree that's what many blogs seem to be for,
>> it just holds no interest for me personally.

I have two: one LiveJournal, for miscellaneous ramblings on how I'm doing
personally, and another on Blogspot, which is for articles related to my
research.

The LiveJournal one I started mostly because several of my friends are on LJ,
and it seemed like a good place to put the occasional blather about weather in
the Central Valley, the health of my cat, what I saw on my trip to England this
year, and other stuff that would mostly be of interest to family and close
friends. It's a way of letting that small audience know how I'm doing without
having to write each one individually.

The Paternosters blog (http://paternosters.blogspot.com) is something I started
to force myself to sit down and WRITE about my research on the history of
rosary beads. For about a year and a half I was producing one to two articles a
week; it got sidetracked somehow after my England trip this spring and I
haven't gotten back to it, but I certainly have not run out of things to talk
about. I find that writing gives me more ideas about things to research and
write about, and I've learned a lot in the process. I like it also because it's
somewhere to post the answers to FAQs and anything else I want to make
available, and yet it's simple to maintain just by sitting down and typing
something; I don't have to create or configure entire Web pages to hold the
information.