Zuzana wrote:

<<
  I've made up a formula for how to calculate the distance between the holes in
spiral lacing:
  y = x/b + x/(2b2)

  y....distance between two holes
  x....length of the opening, from the first hole to the last
  b....number of holes (without the 1/2 distance hole)

  It may sound a bit weird, but it's much quicker to use this formula then to
wonder 2 hours about how to make the holes.

Now I've wondered more than 2 hours why you would need to wonder 2 hours! No
one else has posted to ask about this, so I guess I will: Where was your
difficulty originally, that made you come up with this formula?

It sounds like the formula determines distance between holes based on the
number of holes. But I would determine the spacing of the holes first, and the
number of holes would be however many I needed at that spacing. I frankly
wouldn't know how many holes I was going to use till I was done, and I don't
think I've ever bothered to count them. It's the spacing I care about.

In other words: I've learned that to make a non-gapping opening down the front
of my fitted dresses, I need to place the holes about 5/8 or 3/4 inch apart.
(Not coincidentially, this is the width of my finger.) So, I start at the top.
I go just below the area of the seam allowances (which are folded inside the
lining and trimmed) and mark the first hole with a sharp chalk line or a sharp
pencil line. Then I mark the rest of them, one at a time, one finger-width
apart. I do the marking on the inside, with the dress turned inside-out.

I do this down to the end of the opening and usually put one more hole past the
point where the center seam begins. (I've already sewn the center front so that
there's a slight overlap, but that's a nicety and not absolutely necessary.)

Then I hold the unmarked edge up next to the marked edge, just as they will lie
in wear. I mark the first hole at the same point, straight across from its
mate. Then I go down half a fingerwidth and mark another hole. (This is easy to
eyeball.) I continue then at one finger-width apart, always watching the
opposite side to make sure I'm staying at the midpoints between the first set
of marks, on the opposite side.

At the bottom, I leave them uneven. The lacing cord eventually will come
through whichever bottom hole sits lower, after being fastened on the inside of
the garment on the opposite side, at the same level as the lower hole (meaning
the lace will be fastened a little below the last hole on that side).

I do all the marking before I sew because sewing the eyelets can change the
stretch/tension of the fabric and interfere with the evenness of the
measurements.

Something I do before I start all of this: I baste a line down each edge,
exactly 1/2 or 5/8 inch from the edge and parallel to it. When I mark my
eyelets, my marking lines cross the basting line, forming a + . The eyelets go
on those intersections. The basting helps keep the lining and the main fabric
from getting off-kilter while I sew the eyelets. I remove the basting after the
eyelets are sewn.

Once you're used to this method, you don't need pins or measuring tape, though
I only abandoned those a little while ago, after many dresses. It's really
simpler now.

The more I sew, the less I measure. It's quite likely that 14th-century
seamstresses did not use measuring tapes marked in numerical increments. (If
anyone has any evidence that they did, let me know. The closest I've heard of
are tapes with a specific person's body measurements marked on it, for
reference, but even that appears to be rather later, and something that tailors
used when sewing independently of the wearer's body.)

--Robin

Robin Netherton
This is my webmail box. Please reply to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.