Whose idea was it, I wonder, to dress characters from ancient history in
TV programmes in clothes made from what look like old flannelette
sheets? I watched the new series on Ancient Rome last night, and even
the Emperor wore tunics made from rough fabric with huge stitches round
the neckline. I've seen similar garments in other drama-documentaries.
Surely the Romans were capable of weaving fine linen?

PS What's the matter with the list? It's seemed very quiet lately, and
I've received several posts replying to questions but not seen the
original question.

Kate Bunting
Librarian and 17th century reenactor