Very curious and interesting! Thanks for sharing. The only other asymmetrical men's doublets that come to mind are from much earlier, like the Barthel Beham "scorekeeper" from 1529.

What about this one:
http://www.tudor-portraits.com/ElizabethKnollys.jpg

I've always wondered where it closes. Is that diagonal frogging on an asymmetrical closure inside the loop of the necklaces? (And I love the necklace going over one shoulder and under the opposite arm...)

Melanie Schuessler

I've just spent some time in Paris looking at old costume picture and documents. Without looking at my notes, I seem to remember at least 3 buff coats or arming doublets from right around the end of the 16th-early17th cen. having side closures. In one case, this was to enable the front to be made of three layers of leather. Makes sense, since these were used as armour. I seem to also remember some Turkish coats from the same time period closing on the side.

Melusine