Thanks for that summary.  With many of these toxins, it is a matter of
prolonged, repeated exposure over time.  For example, the miners who mined
asbestos for years, or small children who repeatedly ate lead paint chips for a
 long
time.  One or two lead chips wouldn't be harmful, in all  likelihood.
Similarly, a large dose of arsenic ingested at once could, of  course, be
fatal, but
in cases of deliberate arsenical poisoning, usually small  doses are given
over a period of time.

It does sound like Penny has a contact allergy, which is something
different, and varies from individual to individual.

As I said in my initial post, those early horror stories about aniline dyes
did sound suspect to me.  It does seem likely, though, that industrial  runoff
from the manufacturing plants into the surrounding water sources was NOT  a
good thing!

Ann Wass