I don't know about the authenticity aspect, I meant the pattern came out
nicely, fit well, looked good. Sorry.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Melanie Schuessler
Sent: Thursday, November 09, 2006 5:41 AM
To: Historical Costume
Subject: Re: [h-cost] Tudor Tailor -- another review

Sharon at Collierfam.com wrote:
> I made a "Mary Tudor" dress using the book and was pleasantly surprised.
> Nice french hood patterns.

I respectfully disagree with the French hood patterns in The Tudor
Tailor.  Neither the fronts nor the falls/veils match the portrait and
effigy record.

There is no indication in 16th-century images of the attachment across
the nape of the neck that The Tudor Tailor includes as part of the front
of the hood (what TT calls the "brim").  This shape is good for modern
theatrical purposes because it's stable in the absence of the anchoring
hairstyle that would have been underneath historically.

If you look at the excellent images from the 16th century that are
included in the book, you'll see that the fall in the back of the hood
is a flat tube hanging from the top of the head and that the back of the
head is covered closely by something shaped more like a caul.  The
patterns, however, show a fall shaped like a sleeve, which creates a
different effect entirely.

Both "brim" and fall patterns are similar to the ones in Denise Dreher's
_From the Neck Up_, an excellent theatrical millinery book from 1981.

Melanie Schuessler