From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Kelly Grant
Sent: Tuesday, November 14, 2006 6:59 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [h-cost] Blue on Judith

Funny how this comes up today!

Last night on 'Naked Archeaologist' the show was about the colour blue
in
ancient times.  How it was produced from the snail.  The trick to
getting
blue from the snail was to expose the dye to sunlight.  The ultra violet

light produces a very vivid blue, if not exposed the dye will come out
purple.

I thought it was fasinating.

There is also quite a controversy in some sects of the Jewish faith over
the
use of snails or cuttlefish to produce the dye.  The archeaological
evidence
suggests snails though, due to the amount of snail shells at dye sites.

How they suggest the dye is made

rotten dried up snail
caustic soda
boiling water
sunlight

I am not a dyer, so I don't say this would work, I also don't know the
quantities of each.  It was interesting to see them dye the fibre
though...when it first came out of the dye pot it was yellow, then once
rung
out of liquid and probably exposed to the air turned blue before their
eyes!

Discussion?????

Kelly

An insolent reply from a polite person is a bad sign.

Hippocrates (c.460-c.370 bc), Greek physician