To: "Historical Costume" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, November 17, 2006 2:19 AM
Subject: RE: [h-cost] hair taping

I'm intrigued by the reference to Elizabeth's "second link"--I can't find the message this clearly refers to, and maybe "hair taping" would be helpful to me.

<snip> Ever grateful--
Ruth Anne Baumgartner
scholar gypsy and amateur costumer

These are the two links I posted before http://www.mfgraffix.com/hird/faoilt/hairtape.html and http://katerina.purplefiles.net/garb/hair/Hair%20taping.htm they are both different methods of hair taping as seen in 16th century Italian images, but it's also a plausible way of anchoring headwear such as French Hoods (which is how the discussion came up) You probably couldn't find it because it was under the header 'Tudor Tailor - another review' as part of a discussion of their method of recreating the French Hood. If you've got a particular time period in mind other than 16th century Italy you probably need a hat, but if it's just generic 'medjeeval' then this technique using something non-slip to hold your hair in place and some decorative ribbon or trim over the top could give you a pretty 'olde worlde' look.
Elizabeth