Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 17:20:15 -0800
From: "Elisabeth Doornink" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: [h-cost] OT: Checking in from the Pacific NorthWET (and
 Windy)

Would that have been 1990? Because I was 3 months old during that storm
(can
you believe it!) and we moved out of the house we were renting for a
week to
my Grandmother's - we were loosing 5 degrees an hour inside and pack up
when
the cat's water froze. INSIDE. My grandparents had a stove that the
water
was plumbed into and the water was gravity fed, so they had it pretty
good,
even though the transformer blew.

Our friends, on the other hand, were housebound for a week due to huge
trees. They had a stick penetrate their roof - my dad's picture of it
is
really amazing. There is just a stick straight through their roof to
the
inside.

It gives me a huge respect for the families that moved here, especially
from
places like Norway and Finland, where my ancestors lived. They moved
here
(to the land we live on now) sometime around 1895. To brave the wet and
rain
and dry in the summer to farm for a living in this rocky
soil...amazing.

Quia Christus Perpetuo Regnat,
Elisabeth