On Dec 25, 2006, at 12:54 PM, Robin Netherton wrote:

On Mon, 25 Dec 2006, Robin Netherton wrote:

This is the one I like -- look at Elizabeth's left side, and you'll see the side seam has been opened and laced with a gap. You can see the dark underdress beneath.

http://www.wga.hu/index1.html

Whoops, sorry, the site is framed. This gets you to the image:

http://www.wga.hu/cgi-bin/highlight.cgi?file=html/w/weyden/rogier/ 17other/3visitat.html&find=visitation

--Robin

Ok, that is very obvious. I see again that there are more eyelets than are being used by the lace. What's going on there - some kind of lace shortage? It's not a "get dressed fast" scene, and also wouldn't that side lace be for adjustment rather than getting into the dress?

     -Carol