Just my 2 cents....

It seems to me that the term "schaube" has the same problem as the term coat
or jacket in modern terms.  We call all jackets the same thing but it does
not indicate what style they are (long, short, leather, wool, nylon, etc.)

So perhaps a "schaube" to them was just a term for a coat and using our
modern context, we are trying to differentiate the styles by finding
different words for them.  But in period there was really only one term for
them.

I liken this issue to one I had when trying to differentiate different
styles of renaissance German lady's dresses.  In period they would have just
called them dresses or "rocks" even though they had different features.

Diana