Yesterday I just saw a pattern of the viking wide trousers. It's on this
webpage: http://www.kostym.cz/ I cannot figure out the direct page, so you have
to choose english, then enter and the pants are under "pattern's adaptation" -
"trousers". If you then click on the pattern, the text appears in Czech, but
they only say that there was no exact garment found yet and that the pattern is
not a historical reconstruction, but it's aim is to achieve the same
appearance. It's gathered at the waist and under the knees. For gathering, they
recommend inserting a simple drawstring. For the author it seems redundant to
make complicated pleats at the back - taking inspiration from the tight
originals.

Lauren Walker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  Excuse me for being a dope -- my project keeps slipping backwards in
time, so what i originally thought took place post-Norman conquest is
looking more and more like a late Viking-era development, and so NOW
I am more interested in Norse poufy pants than I expected to be --
but the Swedish Historiska pdf sure seems to imply the pants were
gathered around the knee, and I had heard rumors that the pants
weren't really gathered, just looked that way because of tighter
wraps on the lower legs. Has this been resolved anywhere? I'm always
finding that the details I really LIKE -- in this case, the gathers
-- turn out to be modern interpretations not supported by the
historical evidence. I keep meaning to add an article to my Web site
about how often historical accuracy is like going shopping with a
mean, unfashionable auntie.

Thanks for any clue on these guys, anyway!
Lauren
Lauren M. Walker
[EMAIL PROTECTED]