I believe they are usually referred to leading bands or leading strings.
Lappets are usually a part of a woman's cap.
Here's an article that referrs to them as part of children's costume:
http://www.history.org/history/clothing/children/child01.cfm

Karen
Seamstrix

-- "Saragrace Knauf" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Do any of you know of some sources which discuss the pieces of cloth
(typically from the shoulder or sleeve scye) hanging from a child's costume?
I need some reference material to support my discussion and can't seem to
find anything specifically in my books. I have always referred to them as
lappets....maybe this is why I can't find the reference?

You can see it in the following picture.

http://www.thinker.org/imagebase_zoom.asp?rec=6259302223530010

Or http://tinyurl.com/3y4vr6

It makes sense to me, and I seem to recall they were used to hang on to
kids.  This one shows a rope attached to the small child.

http://tinyurl.com/3eyaqz