On Tuesday 06 March 2007 11:00 pm, Susan Carroll-Clark wrote:
> Greetings--
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > In a message dated 3/5/2007 8:57:22 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> >
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> >> the bride in the correct
> >> colour.
> >
> > NO they didn't! There was not anything near the bright coral red they
> > should have been wearing! What were you watching?..'cause it wasn't the
> > same thing I saw.
>
> What I saw was veiling and clothes in various shades of flame
> orange--which I understood was correct.  I apologize if I got it
> wrong--but it was definitely not white, for instance. Someone was
> clearly trying for the right colour.  And the wording (which was what
> I'm more familiar with) was more or less right.

I'm not familiar with the HBO series you're discussing (I don't even have a
cable subscription) but I'm somewhat familiar with the costume issue being
discussed.  My understanding is that the veil worn by brides in ancient Rome
was "flame colored," but I was not aware that there was any kind of consensus
about what color that actually meant.  What is your source for the flammeum
being "coral red"?  I'm curious.

--
Cathy Raymond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

"If only God would give me some clear sign! Like making a large deposit
in my name at a Swiss Bank." -- Woody Allen