Maybe thread the leading string through the back of the jerkin, so it is one
continuous piece. Might pull the jerkin out of alignment, but you won't risk
a string breaking loose at a crucial moment.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Rebecca Schmitt
Sent: Monday, March 19, 2007 1:45 PM
To: 'Historical Costume'
Subject: [h-cost] leading strings for elizabethans?

Has anyone used leading strings in an Elizabethan setting/outfit for their
children? How did you do it? Did you attach tapes to each outfit, or is
there some way to make them interchangeable? I'm tempted to try to make some
sort of harness that I can clip onto my toddler to wear underneath a jerkin.
Has anyone tried something like that? I'm concerned that all the tugging and
pulling that I'm anticipating will yank the leading strings right out of the
seams.

Any experiences with leading strings will be greatly appreciated!

Also, are there any useful patterns for 18-24 month sizes for Eliz.? Thanks!

Rebecca Schmitt
aka Agness Cabot, Guilde of St. Lawrence
Bristol Renaissance Faire

My arms are too short to box with God.  --Johnny Cash