I've found the difference matters more for hand sewing than machine (but my
sewing machines aren't picky), but handedness of the person matters as much as
handedness of the thread.  Every stitch I take, the needle is rotated slightly.
After several stitches, the thread has a tendancy to either kink up on itself
and knot, or develop weak spots and fray.