thanks everyone for your suggestions, I'll have to play around with the layout on paper and see if I can squeeze something useable from the yardage I've got.
Elizabeth
----- Original Message ----- From: "Elizabeth Walpole" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Historic Costume" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, March 21, 2007 5:16 PM
Subject: [h-cost] minimum yardage for 14/15th century kirtle

I've been given just under 4 yards of dark gold silk noil as a gift and after a long time trying to think what I could do with it (I don't sew modern stuff and I know silk noil is not period for pre 20th century purposes plus the small yardage made it really hard to think of anything) I thought that it might work as a kirtle in the style of 15th century peasants e.g. http://humanities.uchicago.edu/images/heures/june.jpg (as with this small yardage I'll need detachable sleeves).
<snip>

E-mail message checked by PC Tools Spyware Doctor (5.0.0.169)
Database version: 5.06900
http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor/