Or maybe a combination of "texture and draping qualities"? The few
people I've talked to are not familiar with the term hand.

Patty

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Ruth Anne Baumgartner
Sent: Wednesday, March 28, 2007 9:32 AM
To: Historical Costume
Subject: Re: [h-cost] Translation help

I've always used "hand" and find it much more specific than "feel,"
since "hand" does include a sense of how the fabric moves or behaves
when one handles it as well as how it feels--in fact, for me the
"handling" aspect is more important than the "feeling" aspect. When I
talk with other people who sew, "hand" seems to communicate fine.

If you're in doubt, is there room for an explanatory note?

--Ruth Anne Baumgartner
scholar gypsy, amateur costumer, and occasional copy editor