From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Penny Ladnier
Sent: Thursday, March 29, 2007 1:38 AM
To: h-costume
Subject: [h-cost] 1960s-70s School Dress Codes

My students have been asking some really good questions.  These questions I
only know the answers from personal experience.  I lived in Mississippi at
the time and do not know if we were really far behind fashion or not.  If
you answer these questions, please let me know your location and the app.
year you remember these fashions were worn to public elementary through high
school:

1. Mini-skirts: Girl's skirt lengths were measured
2. Girls' pants:  When were girls' allowed to wear pants to school.
Pants-suits, hiphuggers?
3. Boys' Hair: Allowed to wear long hair
4. Boy's mustaches: When allowed

1. I recall in seventh grade, 1969-70, on the bus to school, I basted girls'
skirt hems up...on the way home I let the hems out.  Needless to say, I was
fast at hemming.  By 1972/73, we could wear very short baby doll dresses
with bloomers underneath.

2. About 1970-71 (school year), we could wear pants suits similar to the
Partridge Family to school.  The tunic length was measured.  Remember the
Susan Dey patterns? By spring that evolved to the pants under a short dress
(ironically in fashion now YUCK!) By autumn 1971, we could wear blue jeans
and hip-huggers.

3. Fall 1971 guy could wear long hair but no facial hair.

4. 74/75 school year, guys could wear facial hair.

I remember vividly specifics about when these became fashionable in our
area.  I sewed around the clock for my sisters and myself to stay on top of
fashion.  My senior year, the boys @ school raked me over the coals for
being the first to wear a midi shirt.  I was so hurt that I went home and
cut it up with scissors.  A few years ago, a girl friend for that school
found my website.  She wrote that she always knew that  I would go into
fashion career because she loved that skirt.  She described the skirt style
and print of fabric perfectly 25 years later.  I still have the pattern and
wish I had the fabric!

Penny Ladnier,
Owner, The Costume Gallery Websites
www.costumegallery.com