If I remember correctly - books at home, me at work - it took several
years (maybe 10-15?) before elastic moved to clothing and corsets
after its initial use in boots.
LynnD

On 4/4/07, Cin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>, a patent for elastic, made of India
>Rubber, was filed in Patent Office in 1837. In that same year, elastic sided
>half boots first appeared.

That would be Charles Goodyear who's first(?) business was
manufacturing boots, gloves, coats & other wearables out of "India gum
rubber".  I believe his business was formed 1837 coincident with the
patent.  You're on your own to look up the rest.  I dont remember much
more than that.
--cin
Cynthia Barnes
[EMAIL PROTECTED]