Yes, dotted Swiss is very expensive on most of the heirloom sewing sites. I suppose people only buy a little bit of fabric to clothe children and dolls, therefore it does not seem too expensive. The Baltazor $15/yard Swiss batiste is the most reasonable I've run across in all cotton, although I've seen similar prices for cotton/poly (which I don't think I can dye).

I think what with eyelet so in fashion, other fabrics with embroidered textures may be so soon. Or maybe not.

I became interested in it when I bought some embroidered cotton kebayas from Indonesia whose ground fabric was basically dotted Swiss, although the seller did not call it that (I think they just called it "cotton"). It's just a really nice sheer fabric for summer.

Fran

Sylvia Rognstad wrote:

I was looking for dotted swiss for a show I was costuming last fall. It was impossible to find white on white at a reasonable price. I don't think the fabric has been in style since the 1950s when my play took place. Lots of little girl dresses were made of it then. I finally found 1 yard on an auction website.

Sylrog