Had to share this bit of info for all you USAdians.

The Norwalk Independence Day Ball is being held early this year... Fair
enough - events move around due to other influences.

BUT that puts the "Independence Day Ball" smack bang in the middle of the
weekend celebrating the Official Queen's Birthday of the United Kingdom and
the Commonwealth!

Maybe it's been taken over by Loyalists? ;-)

In Australia (but not in the UK.. . go figure) we celebrate this as a long
weekend (in some states it's the last long weekend before Christmas, so
no-one wants to let it go - it's also the official start of the Ski season).
Every year the Pike and Musket Society (1642 London trayned bandes
reenactment) celebrates by holding our Winter Camp - were we camp out for
3-4 days in the mountains 3.5 hours west of Sydney. It's not unusual to see
snow, and last year the overnight temperatures got down to -6C (we know this
because the olive oil froze, but not the red wine!). Definitely a weekend
when all our 1640s clothing comes in useful - this doesn't often happen in
Sydney.

Glenda.