silk and possibly on a rare occasion in small sections, cotton.
From: http://www.vikingsonline.org.uk/resources/articles/as_textiles.htm
"Purpura
Even though contemporary written sources make it clear that a fabric called
purpura was prized by the Anglo-Saxons even above silk and pattern-woven
silk, it is in a sense a mystery fabric because they do not specify what it
is. It has been suggested that it might have been a fur or pelt, but our
written sources reveal that, in spite of its etymology denoting purple,
purpura was not necessarily that colour. There was a red purpura tunicle at
Ely, a white purpura chasuble and a green purpura cope at Peterborough, and
after the Conquest black and red purpura vestments were acquired by
Rochester, and Eddius relates that St Wilfrid adorned Ripon with various
distinct colours of purpura. Now while it is true that furs can be red (or
russet rather), black and white, they are not, I believe, green! - so it may
be reasonable to assume that purpura was not another name for fur or pelt.

Purpura would seem to have been very shiny fabric. Aelfric in his Life of St
Martin describes a garment as ‘shining like purpura’. That purpura does not
necessarily mean ‘purple’ is easily accounted for. J André in his study on
colour terms in Latin (Étude sur les Termes de Couleur dans la Langue
Latine, Paris 1949) notes that even before the Middle Ages the Latin
adjective purpureus had glided into meaning brightness and was used to
describe:
the light of day
the full spectrum of the rainbow
the glint of sunlight on a lightly rippled sea
the shining whiteness of snow

Through various writings we learn that the corpses of the Anglo-Saxon élite,
both lay and clerical, were shrouded in purpura, and purpura was also used
for these corpses’ underlays and overlays. This élite also used it for
garments and vestments, and for decorating interiors of palaces, halls, and
churches.

We also know that purpura was thicker than normal silk. The London Inventory
lists a textile as being ‘like purpura’ in that it is thick and of more than
one colour.

For a more detailed description we must forward in time to Reginald of
Durham, writing between 1165-1172. He describes St Cuthbert’s dalmatic as
related to him by witnesses contemporary to the saint’s reburial at Durham
in 1104. The colour, he writes, ‘...was a reddish purple....but this was
shot with another colour, yellow, which produced ever-changing patterns of
variegated colour’ (Dodwell), and ‘...this infusion of a yellow colour is
discerned to be inherent in the cloth, sprinkled dropwise over the whole,
and by its strength and brilliance the reddish-purple tint is made to give
out a more powerful and brighter light.’ (Reginaldi....libellus, trans.
Pace).

As Dodwell points out, nowhere in the text does Reginald call this fabric
purpura. It is however ‘...an exact description of shot-silk taffeta as it
catches the light’.

Given that we know purpura came in variegated colours, and was a robust
fabric, it is not unreasonable then to deduce, as Dodwell does, that it was
the name the Anglo-Saxons applied to shot-silk taffeta. This conclusion of
Dodwell’s is given further weight by information in the Life of St Edward
(mid-11th c) that the Confessor had a ship with sails of purpura embroidered
with scenes of the great sea-battles of Anglo-Saxon kings, and that King
Edgar owned a cloak of ‘distinguished’ purpura, and that in the 7th c King
Oswald’s banner was of purpura encrusted with gold.

And even if purpura was not shot-silk taffeta, it is safe to eliminate fur
or pelt from the theories since neither kings’ nor saints’ corpses were
shrouded in this manner, and sails of fur or pelt - let alone embroidered
fur or pelt, are highly unlikely, as indeed would be banners."

 De