On Apr 27, 2007, at 3:14 PM, Dawn wrote:

Cynthia J Ley wrote:

Hi all. I need to hand roll a veil hem and have never done it before.
Could someone please give me instructions?

Trim off any fraying edges. Take the edge of the fabric between your thumb and finger and try and roll it into a narrow hem. Curse. Snip off any frayed bits you caused. Take tiny stitches with the other hand. Repeat.

In addition, it can help in achieving a small, tight roll if you moisten the fingers you're using to roll it. I've found that it works best to roll the edge back and forth a little between my fingers to get the best result.

When I was putting together my article on seam types found in archaeological textiles <http://www.heatherrosejones.com/ archaeologicalsewing/index.html> the rolled hems I found were sewn with an overcast stitch -- where the thread goes around the whole rolled part then through the fabric at the edge of the roll. (This is as opposed to something more like a regular hem stitch where you're just catching the edge of the roll.) MoL's "Textiles and Clothing" notes that this was used for silk veils in the medieval period. I also found mentions of it on linen, but the specific examples were from pharaonic textiles.

Heather