To: "Historical Costume" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, April 29, 2007 2:35 PM
Subject: Re: [h-cost] 1580s open robes and closed robes or ropas

Bjarne,

Do you mean the small gold things all over the gown and kirtle? I think that these are metal quatrefoils with a central stone, not stumpwork flowers. You can see similar items on the upper sleeves of this lady
http://www.tudor-portraits.com/UnknownLady50.jpg

a slightly fancier version down the bodices of loose gown and kirtle of this lady
http://www.tudor-portraits.com/UnknownLady33.jpg

little ones all over the partlet here
http://www.tudor-portraits.com/ElizabethAustria.jpg

and larger ones with square red or black centers on Elizabeth's sleeves, shoulder rolls, guards, and fan handle.
http://tudorhistory.org/elizabeth/elizahever.jpg

Here's a closeup of a replica of a simple version with a square center
http://www.pewterreplicas.com/detail.asp?id=158&selcurrencies=GBP

Cheers,
Melanie Schuessler