On May 2, 2007, at 8:49 PM, Melanie Schuessler wrote:

Of course, actor safety, comfort, and the ability to do quick-changes, dance moves, sword fights, or whatever else needs to happen in the show also often have an impact.

Out of lurkdom for a moment.

First, thanks for all the insight into costumes. I learn so much on this list. Such interesting discussions, too.

Second, I ride sidesaddle and joined this list to find out about historic riding habits (but stayed because of the vast array of topics!) The issue of safety and how much we riders have to "do for ourselves" in this 21st Century, (rather than have a dresser and grooms) influences my use of velcro. For ease of dressing, since I am my own groom, I get the horse ready, then get myself ready, as quickly as possible. My bodices close with velcro, as do my skirts. If the horse falls, or even slips, velcro releases the full skirt, so I am not hung up on the saddle. The "look" is good but safe and easy to dress / undress. We even mention this safety factor in our explanations to The Public about riding sidesaddle, Then and Now.

Susan