On May 3, 2007, at 3:30 PM, Robin Netherton wrote:
It occurs to me that the productions that get the most criticism on this list are historical drama, particularly those that purport to be realistic (say, "Elizabeth," which offered film-linked packets for school history programs as part of its marketing, as opposed to "Orlando," which was also set partly at the Elizabethan court but had a strong fantastical/ satirical
element).

Yes. For me, at least, less-than-accurate costumes are not really the problem. The REAL irritation is that film directors (etc.) blithely do whatever they think "feels right" with the costumes AND then have the audacity to claim that their renditions are "accurate", "thoroughly researched," and (deities help us) "educational." Which thoroughly -- and unnecessarily -- confuses anyone who actually IS trying to do research and/or education.

If they would stop making the silly claims, the clothing wouldn't matter nearly as much.

The same goes for messing with history for the sake of the plot. It's OK to invent how history might have been, or could have been if things had happened differently, or how modern people would react if put in that situation, or for that matter, it's OK to produce allegories about modern times disguised as "history." What is NOT OK is to then claim that your rendition is somehow "more true" than what actually happened, or to produce school education packets asserting that real historical figures actually DID what you have imagined.

Of course, I think it's quite legitimate to present a different "take" on real history as "the real thing" when there actually IS historical evidence for it. Scholars can, do, and always will differ on what actually happened and why.

What I don't think is legitimate is to take half-baked or widely criticized ideas (aliens building the pyramids, anyone?) and present them as sober historical fact WITHOUT planting plenty of clues that you're not _really_ serious. I didn't see "Shakespeare in Love," but those who watched it closely tell me that a Stratford-on-Avon souvenir mug appeared fairly prominently, early in the film. Nice touch. <g>

O    Chris Laning <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> - Davis, California
+     http://paternoster-row.org - http://paternosters.blogspot.com