In my re-enactor clothes, I usually cut the fabrics down to 22" widths so I'm forced to piece them accurately. I also plan to do more with my loom that weaves 22" for these purposes. One thing I find is that seaming 22" wide fabrics sometimes lends more structural strength or other serendipitous advantages, and invariably teaches me something about why the garments were made the way they were, which usually has something to do with using the grain or bias or selvage of the fabric. The most fun was a short circle cloak, because the narrow pieces (two quarter-circles for the front and a half-circle for the back, 22" radius) meant putting seams down each side, which helped it hang properly at the shoulders, and also gave me lovely selvages for both sides of the front opening. When I am overweight (as now) I cheat for shifts and cut a little wider width (about 24") that will give me enough room round the middle while still cutting front and back as one piece (gussets take care of the hips but I like a little ease through the chest that the underarm gussets don't always accommodate.) This on the theory that my fatness is itself a modernism, and in period I would doubtless me at least four inches less around!
Lauren

Lauren M. Walker
[EMAIL PROTECTED]