I can kinda-sorta help you out with this one.

One of the shirts in the Sicilian Bride collection at the Met is completely
reversible, done not only in polychrome silks, but gold thread as well. Both
cuffs and collars are coated in it in good 2 inch bands. These date to ca.
1500-1600 Sicily. They employ several stitch types, none of which are Assisi or
Blackwork in nature. Satin stitch is most predominant in the motifs.
As for publishing....wait a year or so and see who ends up published first -me
or the Met. ;-)

I understand that insisting on completely reversible, uber-tidy embroidery
backs is far more a Victorian convention than Medieval. I've heard this
statement debated hotly both ways. The Met collection is by no means nasty
looking on the back, but you can spot the knots if you look for them.

Kathy

It’s never too late to be who you might have been.
-George Eliot
Tosach eólais imchomarc. - Questioning is the beginning of knowledge.
http://www.sengoidelc.com/node/131

So, questions:

1. Is my memory correct -- is this indeed a characteristic of blackwork?
Or any other kind of historic embroidery style?

2. Is this characteristic actually documentable to any non-modern
examples? (I know it's easy to assume that a standard definition of a
technique must date back forever, but it might be done differently in
different periods.) If so, how early? I mentally associate blackwork in
particular with the Tudor period, but the reference in this case is about
1400.

3. Can anyone point me to a published source that would document the use
of such a "two right sides" technique to a medieval artifact?

Ultimately my friend would like to have a citation that shows the use of
such inside/outside embroidery from around 1400. Doesn't have to be
blackwork.

Failing that, it would be helpful to have a citation of such a technique
from a later period, even if it's not c. 1400.

boot with the All-new Yahoo! Mail at http://mrd.mail.yahoo.com/try_beta?.intl=ca