As far as I've heard, up to 108" in some places, like Italy...

Talia

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Behalf Of Beth and Bob Matney
Sent: Sunday, May 06, 2007 9:13 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [h-cost]Authentic fabric widths

I'll check Arnold. Thanks to both of you for replying.

I have an image in one of my books of a church in France where the
"yard stick" is carved into the exterior wall.

I do remember that English woolen broadcloth was about 2 yards wide
and that various silks and silk velvets were in the range of 2 feet or less.

I was hoping that someone already had a list of the variations in
width and length online somewhere. Just lazy I guess... another
project for my to-do list! ...eventually it will get done, I promise. <grin>

Take care,
Beth

At 07:19 PM 5/5/2007, you wrote:
>Date: Sat, 5 May 2007 16:35:52 -0700 (PDT)
>From: MaggiRos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>There's some information in the back of the
>Elizabethan Patterns of Fashion (Janet Arnold)
>
>MaggiRos
>--- WickedFrau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > I'll go look, but as I recall there were various
> > widths available during
> > these times.  I know for sure that an ell was
> > different lengths in different
> > places at different times.  Some widths were
> > surprisingly wide...like 60
> > inches.  I'll get back to you.

10:34 AM

Checked by AVG Free Edition.