thanks for everyone for the advice, I'm going to cut out the Butterick bonnet (http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin/butterick/shop.cgi?s.item.B4210=x&TI='4210'&page=1 view B but minus the brim so it will stop where the trim is in the picture) in paper and see how it looks. If that doesn't work I'll just have to wait a while until I have time to get to an op shop (aka thrift store / charity shop, and people say we speak the same language :-D) and see if they have any hats I could re-make (at the moment I'm working on this in 5 minute blocks in between trying to write 5 essays for Uni)
Elizabeth