Ah yes!  I've seen this portrait before.  My first question, as
always, is what did they do at the time?  Embroidery I will admit is
not my strongest suit and perhaps I am conjuring up the wrong mental
picture of what you mean by "wool felt".  But my gut reaction is "no,
not wool."

In part it is from my reading of inventories of the day... silk
garments tend to be decorated with silk.

Looking at the garment in "Moda A Firenze" I can't tell a darn thing.
Oh well, had to try.

Sorry, I hope your research turns up and answer, and that you will
share it with us.
Mari

Several years ago I found a picture on the internet that I really liked.
http://home.kabelfoon.nl/~triade2/tijdelijk/Blauw.jpg
And several years ago I bought a very nice blue silk.

I was wondering if red wool felt and gold cord would work for the
embroidery.