Steam a Seam 2 is what I used. It keeps the edge of
the velvet appliques I worked on, fused permanently
when I wanted it, was easy enough to sew through
without getting the needle sticky, and comes highly
recommended by embroidery artists and quilt artists I
know. Those artists are the ones who recommend the #2
version, not the regular version. They say the #2
version is lighter, and less likely to gum your
needles. But try both and see what works best for you.
http://www.warmcompany.com/saspage.html
It comes in sheets, and in thin rolls of various
widths. I use the roll SaS2 for holding down trims
before sewing. I really like this stuff.

Kimiko