From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of michaela de bruce
Sent: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 1:54 AM
To: Historical Costume
Subject: Re: [h-cost] Inner Stiffening

> Is buckram washable? If not, what do you recommend I use to add some
> stiffness to the collar?

Buckram; never get it wet! I just recently managed to reshape my
Stickelchen (headdress like Anne of Cleves wore) after it was deformed
from water from the hoses putting out our housefire. It has still
stretched but most of the shape is fine. But I also have a layer of
felt and silk over mine so fine ripples can't really be noticed.

I would recommend hair canvas. It's possibly called horse hair canvas
in places but it's not relaly horse hair.. at least not only... It's a
mottled grey colour and is reasonably easy to get. It's light weight
and washable. After washing it loses a little stiffness but it sound
slike it will still be quite ideal for a light linen.

Regards,
Michaela de Bruce
http://glittersweet.com