There is also a town crier competition, in Benicia, California, I
believe. You may want to google that competition to see what has been
in the contest previously.
LynnD

On 6/11/07, Suzi Clarke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
At 17:28 11/06/2007, you wrote:
>I have a friend who wants me to make him a costume for an  American colonial
>Town Crier. He says he's seen an illustration with the  Crier in,
>judging from
>what he describes, as an English Smock. Would this  be so? Of course I want
>him in a coat and waistcoat [even if the smock is  correct, I still
>have to do
>breeches and a shirt]. He may just not want to fool  with a coat ["It's
>hot."]. I wondered if the Crier was some kind of city  official...like with a
>uniform or something to indicate his office. I suppose  that might
>depend on the
>town.
>
>Any thoughts and/or directions on research would be greatly  appreciated.

If you Google Town Crier, (Images) you will find a number if pictures
of Town Criers, all in pseudo 18th century gear. This is what I
remember from my childhood in Stratford on Avon. See also "Beadle",
who was a similar status official.

Suzi