Wow, that really does look like goldwork, in the closeup of the skirt recently posted. Having done a wee bit of that myself, the mind boggles at the amount of time it would take to do that much of it! Though it would take even longer to embroider it in silks.

Even though I'm not particularly interested in this time period/style, I did have to fight off a strong temptation to make this dress a year or two ago, because there was a large hunk of fabric for sale on eBay that was almost exactly like what's seen here--except it was pale apple green/salmon instead of gold/salmon. That was the only thing that stopped me from at least buying it and hoarding it until my taste in time periods changed yet again.

Still kind of wish I had... the thing was up for sale for months and months.

-E House