At 02:55 07/07/2007, you wrote:
So if you had 3 months (just to set an arbitrary limit to what you can see but feel free to ignore any time it might take to travel between museums/countries) to travel the world and see every costume related museum you could what would you want to see. My list: In the UK I'd have to prioritise the V&A, Museum of London, Museum of Costume in Bath (I missed that when I was in the UK a few years ago) & National Portrait Gallery (another one I missed on that trip and although it's not directly costume related I've got to see all those Tudor portraits). In the USA, The Met in New York (I'm not sure on their costume collection but I've heard good things about their art collection), Museum of Fine Arts Boston (if their online collection is anything to go by their costume collection must be pretty impressive) but that's all I could come up with off the top of my head, I know there's some good European museums but I don't know any names.
So let your imagination fly and come up with your own list
Elizabeth

In no particular order, and assuming I would be allowed into the archives/stores, I think I would need longer than three months. But, supposing I had time

Kyoto

The Hermitage in St. Petersburg - I've seen some of the clothes from there - more, more!!

The Collections in Florence (Pitti Palace, Uffizzi etc.)

Musee des Arts et du Textiles in Paris

Musee Galliera also in Paris

The museum in Holland that is twinned with the Paris set up

Musee du Tissus in Lyon - all that silk

Platt Hall in Manchester

The DAR Museum in Washington - I only saw the stores, not what was on display, and left 30 minutes after the place closed, and 3 hours after the curator left!!

The Met in New York

Colonial Williamsburg - I was there for about 75 minutes and barely shifted the covers, let alone scrape the surface

LACMA, where almost nothing is on display, but they have a huge collection

And that is just clothing. Another three years for the Art Galleries is needed I think. Greedy, moi?

Suzi