Kate,

I can't wait for the WDTCF on Egypt next week.

I also enjoy the series, "How is that Made?" I tape the fashion industry related parts of the show for my class. Sometimes they provide a brief history and then the modern method of manufacture. Last week or so, they showed how either cotton or wool is manufactured into thread or yarn. I really enjoyed this section since I have been showing my students stereoviews of these types of factories from 1890-1910s. Sometimes on Saturdays, the HITM will run four episodes back-to-back. I think this series runs on Discovery Channel. I have also seen it in the upper channels of my digital cable... maybe the Science Channel.

I wish I had a videotape of my students' facial expressions, when they look at the stereoviews the first time through the stereoscope. They are so amazed at the clarity and 3-D effect. I tell the students to focus on something in the stereoview's far background. I have one stereoview of sunbathers at Atlantic City Beach. This image the students could look at for an hour. There are a lot of people in the photos with parasols, men, women, and children' bathing suits in various styles. I hear from the students a lot of "OMG" from this image. The students will get into a sort of competition over who can see what in the image.

Penny Ladnier,
Owner, The Costume Gallery Websites
www.costumegallery.com
www.costumelibrary.com